Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Disaster Areas

I've been following the California fires a little bit.
SAN DIEGO - Faced with unrelenting winds whipping wildfires into a frenzy across Southern California, firefighters conceded defeat on many fronts Tuesday to an unstoppable force that has chased more than 500,000 people away.

...Tentacles of unpredictable, shifting flame have burned across nearly 600 square miles, killing one person, destroying more than 1,800 homes and prompting the biggest evacuation in California history, from north of Los Angeles, through San Diego to the Mexican border.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said the flames were threatening 68,000 more homes.
I hope anyone I might know in blogtopia from California is okay. And I'm glad that so far loss of life has been relatively minimal. It's kind of shocking to think that 500,000 people have been evacuated.

However, they've been evacuated. The cynic in me can't help but notice the contrast in response to a natural disaster that's happening in a location where rich white people live and a similar disaster that happened a few years ago, where poor black people lived.

I mean, I'm just saying.

No comments: