Friday, March 06, 2009

Kids Movies

So, as much as I love Kung Fu Panda, I'm tired of watching it over and over again. I decided to reach back to my childhood memories and make Abbie watch movies I liked as a kid. Recently we tried Annie and The Black Stallion, two movies I loved loved loved as a kid. Annie she adored, mostly I think because it's easy to replace "Annie" in the song lyrics for "Abbie." (In fact, she's been running around all week going, "Lets go to the mov-ies, Abbie, yooooou and meeee!") The Black Stallion I think she got bored with. Might be better for older kids.


And honestly, watching Annieagain after all these years, I kind of think the child Vanessa unconsciously absorbed a lot of this movie. I was watching it going, hmm...scrappy street urchin who hates chores and likes going to the movies? Dude, this movie is totally about me. And do I secretly want her big red cardigan? Yes, I do.

Also, it's stuck in my head, now it's stuck in yours!


Definitely some jokes in this one I didn't get as a kid.

Carol Burnett brings the hilarity. "I guess I'll never know the feeling, of running fingers through your HAIR!" Lol.

Also, no 80s movie is complete without racist stereotypes. Check out Punjab and the Asp.

Isn't that the dude from the 7up commercial?

Anyway, blogtopia, I thought I'd ask, any long-forgotten childhood movies you think deserve a rediscovering at Casa Vanessa?

4 comments:

spyderkl said...

There's an old Disney musical that I remember as a kid; Bedknobs and Broomsticks, with Angela Lansbury. Really, really weird. In fact, I've been thinking of digging it out for School Girl, but she may already be too old for it.

Vanessa said...

Oo, good call, I remember that one! I'll have to see if it's on netflix!

Goody said...

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was a favourite of mine, though I've got to second the Bedknobs and Broomsticks movie.

I can't remember what the hell I was doing there, but I attended an open audition for the Annie movie in Chicago-it was insane. There were all these little girls with bad red perms being coached to "project" by their mothers as they waited to be called. That was also the day Skylab was supposed to crash to Earth and I seem to recall people being concerned about it.

What really blew my mind was these little girls were all toting resumes. I never saw anything like it, before or since.

Vanessa said...

Haha, Skylab. What a timecapsule early 80s moment.