Sunday, May 03, 2009

Hey, I really do love college

So I'll finally have my BA in a few weeks. Anyone who knows me personally knows how hard it's been for me to get this done financially (it's taken several tries over a decade). I won't say that I'm not feeling a little maudlin about it, kind of like I'm getting laid off of my job or something.

But it does make me kind of want to give Asher Roth a spanking. Oh, for you college is just an opportunity to party while presumably living off your parent's dime? No trying to juggle a job, childcare, real bills, and a marriage with your freaking homework? How nice for you!

Although, come to think of it, I should thank Asher Roth and other peddlers of the drunken college student culture. Thanks to the fact that most of my classmates spend all of their time staying up all night partying, wake up late, then doing it again it's that much easier for me to make magna cum laude level grades. It'll be that much easier for me to make it in to grad school! So thanks, Asher Roth, for thinning out the herd a bit!

6 comments:

CrackerLilo said...

I started college at 22, graduated at 27, and took night courses in my early 30s. So, yeah, I kind of understand your frustration, though I don't have kids. I had to remind myself a lot that, you know, some people learn the stove is hot by touching it...a lot.

More importantly, congratulations to you on finally getting your BA, and on earning magna cum laude grades! Roll on grad school!

Vanessa said...

Thank you! I keep picturing it hanging on the wall by my desk.

Now if only I had a *job*...

Daisy Deadhead said...

Vanessa! I have at least a half-dozen redneck-friends (meant as compliment, as well as Jackson Browne reference), who went back to college in their 30s and 40s, and also graduated magna cum laude, telling me it was easy because the younger kids were too busy partying! :D
It's a syndrome, there has to be a name for it!

I'm so glad they provide honors for students like you, who really care and who will use them wisely.

Congrats to you! :)

Vanessa said...

Thanks, Daisy. I mean, I wouldn't say it was easy, per se, but I am confused as to how people could do as poorly as they tend to. Maybe going to college in your 30s should be the social norm.

Youth, wasted on the young. Sigh.

Goody said...

Congratulations. It seems like it went so fast...from this side of the computer anyway :)

I had to pay my own way through college, and had very little time for parties between two jobs. Well, that and all my friends were (are) really boring.

Vanessa said...

It does seem like it went by fast, now that it's over anyway.