Thursday, September 19, 2002

It's comforting...

It's comforting to see that free thinking isn't in danger in this country, after all.

When 15-year-old Katie Sierra wore T-shirts bearing [a highly cynical version] of the American pledge as well as other sayings that showed her opposition to the war in Afghanistan, teachers and students at her West Virginia High School were outraged.

I always love it when people buck their cultural norms. For instance, I take a strange delight in the fact that Ted Nugent, a product of the 60's and 70's, is such a straight-laced conservative in person. I rejoice at "white rappers" and I smile gleefully when I see fellow black punk rockers walking down the street. I love Drag Queens and Drag Kings. House husbands and career moms, wonderful. I could go on and on. So I think it's great that a 15-year-old girl from West Virgina found the courage to stand up for what she believes in, in the face of all that fair-weather flag-waving and cultural jingoism.

Full story here. Link via Cursor.

*UPDATE* For the full store on Katie Sierra, I suggest this site.

No comments: