Monday, July 21, 2003

Because there's no oil there...

I haven't been keeping track of the Liberia situation. But it's really starting to look bad.

Wailing Liberians lined up bloodied, mangled bodies outside the U.S. Embassy, demanding to know why Washington has not sent troops to end more than a decade of strife in the West African nation founded by freed American slaves.

...After the blasts, enraged Liberians dragged bodies from the residential compound and lined them up in front of the embassy, next to a wall emblazoned with the American seal.

"We're dying here," screamed some in the crowd, as two American servicemen in camouflage watched from behind bulletproof glass.

One man held up a hastily scrawled sign: "Today G. Bush kill Liberia people."


I'm really torn about this. On the one hand, I'd be very hesitant for the Bush Administration to enact any more of it's shoot-em-up diplomacy. Asking Dubya to dispatch more troops just sounds like a very bad idea. But on the other hand, I do think we could do alot of good if troops were sent in as a peacekeeping force, rather than as an agressive force, as in Iraq.

I don't know. The more I blog, the more I think I'm just full of crap. But the more I blog, the more I think our leaders are full of crap, too.

No comments: