Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Wow...

Michael Savage told one of his callers the other day, a "sodomite", to "get AIDS and die."

Get AIDS and die? I'm shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED!

But what did actually shock me was that MSNBC promptly turned around and fired him for doing it.

July 7, 2003 | NEW YORK (AP) -- MSNBC on Monday fired Michael Savage for anti-gay comments.

The popular radio talk show host who did a weekend TV show for the cable channel referred to an unidentified caller to his show Saturday as a "sodomite" and said he should "get AIDS and die."

"His comments were extremely inappropriate and the decision was an easy one," MSNBC spokesman Jeremy Gaines said.


Wow. I suppose that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Took 'em long enough. It must have been a particularly strong-backed camel.

One thing I can already hear coming from the mouths (and blogs) of Savage's extreme right wing compatriots is that the fact that he got fired for his beliefs is also discrimination. Or, that because I call Savage an idiot (which I most certainly do), I am discriminating against him in the same way he discriminated against that poor caller. *coughBullshitcough*

The difference is, Michael Savage chooses to be an idiot. At any point he could stop acting like a complete jerk. At least, now that he is out of one of his jobs, he has less opportunity to act like a complete jerk. It's a step.

No comments: