Sunday, July 06, 2003

This is the best idea ever

I don't like children. I don't like it when people talk in movies. I really, really don't like it when children talk in movies. So this idea really, really appeals to me.

When Jennifer Garretson brought her 3-year-old son to the Cinemark Palace in Kansas City, she was shocked to be turned away.

Garretson was one of several parents who hadn't heard that as of July 4, children under 6 were no longer welcome at the movie theater -- even if they were accompanied by their parents.

Terrell Falk, spokeswoman for Dallas-based Cinemark USA, said the theater would no longer show movies rated G or PG. Instead, fliers in the lobby announced the theater will show "adult films, independent films and films geared toward adult audiences."


Look, if it's a PG-13 or higher rated movie, don't bring your 3 year old. Please. I beg you. They won't get it and will just annoy the rest of us movie snobs.

Granted, this is pretty hypocritical of me to say, because I think one of the main reasons I love movies so much was that my father took me to them so often as a child. But I never went to PG-13 or R-rated movies until I was old enough. These same people taking their kids to see these movies always seem to be the same exact people complaining that children are exposed to too much violence in the media.

I always thought, growing up, that I was a latchkey kid, whose parents allowed her to pretty much tend to myself. Reading about parents complaining they can't take their infant children to PG-13 or R-rated movies, though, I start to think differently.

No comments: