Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Oh...my...god...

Holy crap! was all I could think after reading this story at Eschaton.

Oct., 17 — A child custody dispute in Nebraska has become the subject of a civil rights protest after a judge warned a Mexican American father that his visitation rights would be severely limited if he insisted on speaking “the Hispanic language” to his 5-year-old daughter.

... Amador, who was born in Texas and speaks fluent English and Spanish, told the judge, “I don’t come to her speaking Spanish, but there are times when I try to teach her what ‘hair’ is in Spanish, what ‘hand’ is, stuff like that.”
Reagan replied that English should be the principal language, but said Amador could teach his daughter a few words.
“Are you telling me I can teach it to her but not speak it?” Amador asked.
“That’s right,” Reagan said. “The principal form of communication . . . is going to English” and not “the Hispanic language.”
“What kind of ignorant statement is that?” asked state Sen. Ernie Chambers, who filed a complaint on Amador’s behalf with the state Committee on Judicial Qualifications. “There’s no such thing as speaking Hispanic.”


Wow. If I were a cartoon character, my eyes would be goggling out of my head right now.

No comments: