Sunday, December 24, 2006

It's not a miracle, it's many years of Veterinary School

While idly browsing Yahoo News I came across this fluffy article about Barbaro the racehorse that suffered the shocking injury in the middle of the race. The horse is doing much better, which is lovely, to be sure.

But what caught my eye was this comment by Barbaro's surgeon.
Dean Richardson of the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center also is positive about the colt's recovery. The chief surgeon just doesn't see it as anything more than good medicine.

"It's not a miracle. It's anything but that," he said, sitting next to a Christmas tree topped with a stuffed Barbaro.

"Some of the Barbaro fans aren't going to like that, perhaps. I'm a scientist, I'm a doctor. I'm not a faith healer or a religious person. I believe in the application in science and I think nothing that's happened to him is particularly miraculous."
To which I say amen.

Ironically, of course.

No comments: