Thursday, May 18, 2006

Holy Cow

Can't type long as sitting in the desk chair makes my hip throb like a monkey, but I wanted to bring attention to this post, found via the link farm at Alas. (And hey, thanks for the link, Amp!) This part, in particular, practically teared me up.
Before I gave birth, I went on paid maternity leave, as required by the state, about a month before my due date. After I got home from the hospital I had another six months of paid leave at two-thirds of my salary. After that paid leave was up, I continued to get "baby payments" of around $150 a month. I would have continued to get those so long as I remained in the Czech Republic, up to four years after Connery was born.
As someone who is currently doing the maternity leave dance with their employer, let me say, damn.

There's got to be some way to makes this work in the US. In the richest country in the world, this kind of crap is bullshit.

No comments: