Sunday, May 14, 2006

So I apparently am no longer sleeping...

Yeah, it could be said that I have a touch of insomnia.

It could be the fact that my bedroom is as hot as an oven (and it doesn't help when your big hairy cat wants to sleep on you), or that every time I close my eyes I see the teeny tiny figure that is the amount of money in my checking account, or the instant heartburn I get when laying down, or the ache in my right hip, or the carpal tunnel that's returned with a vengence in my left arm. Or, it could be that this is my first official mother's day (is it? There's no Fetus Carrier day...) and the thought is kind of freaky.

In any case, I am awake. And instead of doing any of the cleaning I need to do, I am blogging. Never say I'm not a procrastinator.

I can't even think of anything important to blog about so it's going to be linkage and movie trailers again.

They've been doing some interesting discussing at Pandagon lately. First there's this post, about dressing like a 'girl.'
That’s why, problematic as it is to buy into feminine drag, it feels empowering for so many women to finally, finally feel free to embrace the skirts and make-up. For me, being able to wear a skirt and some lipstick and even some nice shoes is a victory of sorts, a demonstration that I’m finally self-assured enough about my intellectual equality with men that I can let my guard down and enjoy looking girly. And part of it is no doubt age, too–after you don’t look like a teenager anymore you don’t feel like you have to build a wall between you and the creepy perv patrol so much. None of this is to say that women who don’t enjoy the girly thing are obliged to at all. Just that if you do have that inclination and you avoid it through most of your youth out of fear of being condescended to or worse, getting to the point where you are past that fear can actually feel empowering.
As someone who spent their teen years never wearing a skirt and now owns only one pair of jeans, yeah. I totally get that. Down in the comments someone mentioned cis-vestism, which is like transvestism but instead of liking to dress like the opposite gender, you get a thrill from dressing like your own gender.

That rings true to me. I've often complained that it's not fair that only Drag Queens are able to act like the outrageous ultra-woman I've always wanted to be. I want to name myself Amanda Hugginkiss and lip sync to ABBA songs while hot guys dance in the background. It's my destiny, man.

Then there's this post that addresses something with a similar theme, which is whether or not one feels the need to have children. Now it's weird saying this as a pregnant woman, I know, but for a long time I was very anti-breeding. So I've had this discussion many, many, many times before.

And then read this post where Amanda experiences gestalt and ties it all together.

On a different topic, I was talking with my husband the other day about how terrifying it is that the topic of global warming had transformed into something that will have horrible effects in the distant dystopian future to something that is having horrible effects right fucking now.

The hottest year on record was 2005. The last hurricane season broke all sorts of crazy records, most likely because of greenhouse gasses. Glaciers are melting all over the place.

So you'll forgive me if this movie trailer freaks me the hell out. I recognize it's a little hysterical sounding. (Was the "If you love your children, see this film" bit really necessary?) And Al Gore, bless his soul, still sounds like a total geek. But the before and after images of Patagonia and Mt. Kilimanjaro are honestly terrifying.

Not to mention the thought that it may take the World Trade Center memorial being underwater for the majority of Americans to make any sort of changes in their lives, let alone the government. I think that's the scariest part.

Oh god. The sun is coming up and birds are chirping.

I'm going to try to lay down again. Please send me sleepy vibes.

Or money.

No comments: