Friday, May 30, 2003

Bigot Scouts

I've never understood the Boy Scout's ban on gays. Apparently, neither have certian branches of the Boy Scouts.

The board of the Cradle of Liberty Council, which has 87,000 members in Philadelphia and two neighboring counties, voted unanimously this month to make the change after discussions with gay activists and other community leaders that began two years ago.

"We disagree with the national stance, and we're not comfortable with the stated national policy," council Chairman David H. Lipson Jr. said.


I think this is excellent, and a step towards the good. Being gay is more than having sex with the same gender. Just like being a straight woman doesn't mean I want to have sex with every man I come across (or even any men I come across) being a gay teenaged boy scout doesn't mean that you will want to have sex with all your troop-mates. So, whatever the Boy Scouts are afraid of here is totally ridiculous, and I applaud this Philadelphia group for recognizing that.

No comments: