Wednesday, May 21, 2003

More on the stupid teacher...

Silver Rights has more on Brian Emanuels, the teacher who thought it appropriate to trade slurs with a student.

Read this post.

I believe I did give insufficient weight to the usage of 'gay' as a slam by teenagers.

However, I have not changed my mind about Emanuels. He is not a person who should be teaching children of any color, gender or sexual preference. I believe his presence will likely to do more harm than good if he is allowed to remain. Surely there are many people from the high tech sector in Seattle who could take his place and don't have the problem with racism he does.


And this one.

Next, some commentators keep referring to Brian Emanuels' "good intentions." ...Looking at the situation, not taking Emanuels' words to heart because he is a 'nice, white guy' or as Eric Alterman might say, ' a gentleman,' I see a person who became a teacher at a predominantly minority school for his own ego gratification. He wasn't allowed to get into it at length during his press conference, but apparently has what I call an Alfred Schweitzer complex going on. By that, I mean a desire to help the dusky of the Earth, or at least at one high school in Seattle, while considering them his inferiors. Dr. Schweitzer definitely helped his patients in Africa, but he did so while considering them genetically inferior and himself their white savior.

What J. refers to as an Alfred Schweitzer complex I call the "Love me, I'm a Liberal" syndrome. Everybody go buy Prarie Home Invasion (the whole thing is awesome, really) and listen to this song, it describes alot of people I've had the misfortune to meet.

I cried when they shot John Lennon
Tears ran down my spine
And I cried when I saw "JFK"
As though I'd lost a father of mine
But Malcolm X and Ice-T had it coming
They got what they asked for this time

CHORUS
So love me, love me, love me
I'm a liberal



No comments: