Thursday, May 15, 2003

Dear Wachowski Brothers,

You don't know me, but I've just seen your new film Matrix Reloaded. And while I completely enjoyed the storyline and was again taken by surprise by the "twist", I have two things I'd like to say.

Firstly, there is no point in getting martial art movie bad-ass Yuen Woo-ping to choreograph your fight scenes if you're going to edit them up until the audience can't tell what's going on. Sometime's it's best to just pull that camera back and calmly capture the beauty of the movement, as you seemed to do fine in The Matrix, and as Ang Lee did for Yuen Woo-ping's choreography in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon .

Secondly, if the only way you can do a scene is with really, really sub-par CGI, then it is not worth doing that scene at all. Trust me. The CGI in this was better. (When that much hyped battle between Neo and the hundreds of Agent Smiths starts, just close your eyes. It ruined the rest of the movie for me, it was so bad.)

Thank you for your time and for your creation of a most interesting universe.

-Plucky Punk

No comments: