Saturday, May 24, 2003

If I had been drinking milk, it would have come out of my nose.

This story, about Arab comedians dealing with racism and discrimination in ways that Black comedians have been doing for a long time, made me guffaw.

On stage, Obeidallah jokes about a gas station clerk, who took a look at his credit card and said: "'What kind of name is this Obeidallah thing?' I'm like, 'Sir, it's an Arabic last name.' I'm like, 'literally translated from Arabic to English it means peaceful, friendly Arab who denounces terrorism and loves America.' He's like, 'Yeah, what Arab country's your family from?' So I choose the most peaceful popular one that he'd like. I'm like, 'We're from the same Arab country that Aladdin is from.'"

It's funny because it's true. Or, it's not funny because it's true. I can't decide.

No comments: