Sunday, June 22, 2008

Seven songs meme: youTubing version!

Daisy tagged me with this ages ago. Sorry! D'oh!

Also, this will be my chance to out myself as some kind of semi-aged hipster music geek from ten years ago.

~*~

List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring-summer. Post these instructions in your blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to.

1. They Might be Giants: Birdhouse in Your Soul


Whenever this song comes on the ipod in the car, Brian always sings the main part and I always sing "Who watches over youuuuu!!" It happens every time. Incidentally, I knew I loved the really great show Pushing Daisies when this happened.

2. The White Stripes - Hotel Yorba


I find the White Stripes get crappier with each progressive album. (Seriously, this is the first track off their first album. Awesome, right?) Their first album is awesome, IMHO. This is from their second one, I think. My friend put this on a mix CD of really upbeat songs, and I've had it stuck in my head recently. Happy earworms!!

3. Beastie Boys - Shake Your Rump


For no reason. There's no need for a reason with rump-shaking of this caliber.

4. Venice Shoreline Chris - Rock Steady


Reminds me of hot summer afternoons smoking weed on the porch while living in a run-down old ginormous Victorian house in Allston. Good times.

5. Zebda - Tomber la chemise


I always feel kind of dumb listening to music in languages I don't speak. I'm afraid the lyrics might be really racist or sexist or otherwise horrible. I'm pretty sure the title of this song translates to "take off the shirt" or something, which seems somehow like a cultural thing I don't get. Oh well, I still like it.

6. Gogol Bordello - 60 Revolutions


Abbie can't get enough of Start Wearing Purple, and that's a good song too, but hearing it seventy trillion times is enough for me. I like this one better, anyway, so I'm trying to wean her off the purple song to this one. Listen at around 2:45 where they start to play Master of Puppets for like a nanosecond.

7. Seu Jorge - Queen Bitch


From the soundtrack of the criminally underrated The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. I also like this one. And this one. Also the Mark Mothersbaugh score for this film is kind of weirdly wonderful.

Well, there you go. Since I kind of missed the window on this meme and everybody's probably been tagged with it already, I tag whomever wants to do it still.

1 comment:

Daisy Deadhead said...

QUEEN BITCH was a tribute/homage to Lou Reed initially... so it's funny to hear speeded up Velvet Underground chords, done acoustically and in another language!!!

Vanessa, bravo on your idiosyncratic choices, you never let me down! :)