Friday, November 08, 2002

The Burqa and the Damage Done

Jeanne over at Body and Soul makes a point about "The Veil" that I wish more people would hear.

.Afghan women are no more empowered taking fashion orders from French feminists than they were taking them from the Taliban. How they dress effects our comfort level. We look at them and think, how can they be free if they're still in those sacks? But it's not about how we feel, it's about how they live

I wore "The Veil" for a certian brief but significant portion of my life. And although I take issue with many core beliefs of Islam (mostly the same issues I take with, say, Catholicism, and pretty much all religions for that matter) "The Veil" is not one of them. The head-to-toe burqa is an extreme example, and most Muslim women do not wear veils like these, nor does the Koran call for them to.

Besides, they're perfect for covering a really bad hair day.

No comments: