Friday, November 08, 2002

What the...?!?

Okay, I don't know why it was on. I wasn't really watching Hardball on MSNBC. It was just on in the background. I wasn't really listening.

That is, until former Congressman Bob Dornan said something that shocked me so much I had to rewind it on my TiVo.

He said, and I quote verbatim,

One third of all abortions, 35 percent of all teenage abortions, end in killing a child with a soul.

WTF???

I'll put aside my punkgrrl indignation that an old man has the gall to say anything about what happens in my uterus and I'll take this statement as meaning, at least in part, that prenatal fetuses have souls. Fine. But to say that only one third of abortions involve souls means that the other two thirds don't involve unborn souls. Are those abortions okay? If no (which, somehow, I think I can safely say is Dornan's position) then why not? Is it more than a soul you're protecting? Could it be your patriarchal need for control? And at what point in fetal development does "the soul" happen? I'll have to ask my OB-GYN.

Seriously, If American politicians don't stop acting like the Taliban then I'm moving to Canada.

No comments: