Sunday, December 30, 2007

This is America

Via brownfemipower comes this story of an Icelandic woman detained by immigration, not permitted contact with anyone, and interrogated with little sleep, food or water.

It's all harrowing, but this part especially freaked me out.
I was photographed and fingerprinted. I was asked questions which I felt had nothing to do with the issue at hand. I was forbidden to contact anyone to advise of my predicament and although I was invited at the outset to contact the Icelandic consul or embassy, that invitation was later withdrawn. I don’t know why.
Emphasis mine. Serial rapists and serial killers, child molesters, wife beaters and child killers are all allowed to contact someone when they are arrested. Ladies who like to shop who happen to be from another country are not.

Although in a way this woman is lucky. She could have been Maher Arar.

3 comments:

Renegade Evolution said...

that is completely fucked up. No other words for it.

Vanessa said...

It just makes me wonder, how many jillions of times has this happened since 9/11 that we've never heard of? This woman had the luck to come from Iceland, imagine if she were Syrian or something.

Renegade Evolution said...

No doubt...