Saturday, March 22, 2003

News Bulletin....

I just heard on MSNBC (you caught me, I was watching it again) that an American soldier is in custody for the attack on the 101st airborne division that happened a few hours ago. It was apparently an inside job. I will look for a link to a story confirming this.

**UPDATE*** Atrios has the scoop.

An American Muslim soldier is among three people being questioned in connection with a grenade and small-arms attack that injured at least 10 U.S. soldiers at Camp Pennsylvania in northern Kuwait, reports CBS News Correspondent Mark Strassman.

Oh great. A Black Muslim. More fodder for Ann Coulter.

**UPDATE AGAIN***
The first paragraph of the CBS article now reads

An American soldier is among three people being questioned in connection with a grenade and small-arms attack that injured at least 16 U.S. soldiers at Camp Pennsylvania in northern Kuwait, reports CBS News Correspondent Mark Strassman, who is on the scene with the Army's 101st Airborne Division.

The word "muslim" has been excised from the article completely. Why? It will be interesting when we find out the full details of this situation.

**Okay, Another Update*** Some bloggers are already using this as an excuse to hate. I won't link to this person, but Atrios has, so if you're really that interested you can find it there.

I'm angry right now, and I may regret these words. But, I think it is entirely reasonable for Americans to suspect the loyalty of American Muslims. There is substantial evidence that their allegiances lie not with their country, but with their god.

When an American soldier, trusted, respected, takes three grenades and attempts to murder his leaders while they plan and execute a war to secure American interests, suspicion is justified.

You can call me a bigot, or a racist, or an ignorant fool. But you can't call me wrong. Not when Muslim FBI agents refuse to follow orders, not when American soldiers of the Muslim faith attempt to execute their commanding officers during wartime.

What has this disgusting, vile faith wrought?


That's funny, I think the same thing whenever John Ashcroft, or any of the sexist, backwards, born-again Christians in the current administration open their mouths.

(The above statement is a horrible generalization and I take it back.)

Seriously, if one bad Islamic American is enough to judge them all bad, then one good American Muslim, by the same logic, is enough to judge them all good. I propose we try to publicize the positive actions of Muslim Americans, in order to counter the negative attention by the press.

My example? My father, releasing doves with a Rabbi at a completely non-political peace walk (the only signs allowed were ones that read "Peace") that ran between the mosque and a synagogue. Go here for a photo.

**Final Update, I swear*** Now I hear that one of the injured soldiers in this incident has died. This is very tragic, and my heart goes out to their family. What a horrible way to lose a soldier.

No comments: