Friday, March 21, 2003

Talking to the right-wing conservative hand

Sometimes you get the feeling that sensible dovish people could shout at the hawks all day long, and they just don't listen. Take this story about a group representing family members of victims of the September 11, called the September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows.

The group also condemned Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's regime, and expressed support and concern for American troops.

But it said the resulting civilian deaths of a war on Iraq and the consequences of destroying Iraq's environment and infrastructure could lead to many deaths in the future.


To which the pro-war hawks replied;

Others disagreed with the group.

"I think it's very important that you support our troops even if you don't support the war," said Jill Pall, who founded Adam's Angels in memory of Adam Rand, a friend who died on September 11.


The group condemned Hussein and expressed support and concern for American troops, and yet they are still told they should support our troops even if they don't support the war.

Anybody see the problem here?

As a person firmly rooted on the left I'm really tired of having to say every two seconds "I support the troops even if I don't support the war," or "I'm against the occupation of Palestine but I feel suicide bombings on innocent Israelis are evil," or "I protest the actions of my government but I don't hate America," or any number of statements that should just be assumed since I'm not a raving Taliban "islamo-facist" (I cringe even using that word sarcastically, it annoys me so much)!!

Grrr...spit....

No comments: