Saturday, March 08, 2003

Plucky Punk has re-entered the building

Okay, so I'm back, but not quite ready to go around blogging yet.

Have to play news catch-up.

Will write soon, probably tomorrow.

Meanwhile, while I get my head together, read this moving article by Gail Svirsky of the Coalition of Women for Peace.

"Why aren't you driving through?" asks the B'Tselem worker. "I don't really know," answers the man. "What do you mean, you don't know? Aren't you waiting to get through the checkpoint?" "Yes, I'm trying to get to Hebron. But the soldiers told me to wait here." "How long have you been waiting?" "Since 7 o'clock this morning." "Since 7 o'clock? But it's 5 pm! Why are they keeping you?" "I really don't know. I was just driving through and they told me to stop and get out of my car and wait on the side. I really don't know. I'm just waiting for them to let me through." After a pause. "Did you eat anything yet today?" "No, I left home early and planned to eat in Hebron..." His voice starts to break and he turns away as he struggles to keep himself from crying. After a pause. "Did you call your family? Do they know where you are?" "Yes, I called several times, the last time around 3 o'clock, but now my battery is dead." "Would you like to use my cell phone?" "No, no thank you, I told them at 3 I'd be home in a couple hours. It's 5 now. I don't want to worry them." He turns his head and tries to fight the tears.

Go read.

No comments: