Monday, March 31, 2003

We've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over...

U.S. troops in Iraq have apparently been watching Full Metal Jacket, or something.

U.S. troops killed seven women and children and wounded two others when they opened fire on a car packed with civilians near Najaf, Central Command war headquarters said.

Thirteen women and children were inside the vehicle, four of whom were unhurt, the U.S. military said.


This story is sad enough, but I think I've heard these things said before. From Full Metal Jacket:

Private Eightball: I guess they'd rather be alive than free. Poor dumb bastards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Private Joker: How can you tell which ones are V.C?
Door Gunner: Anyone who runs is V.C. Anyone who stands still is well-disciplined V.C.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Private Joker: How can you shoot women and children?
Door Gunner: Easy... you don't lead 'em so much.
[laughs]
Door Gunner: Ain't war hell?!


I think in our media-saturated culture we're reaching in weeks a state of craziness it took years to reach in earlier wars. So perhaps what we're seeing now in Iraq is a sort of speed-Vietnam. With embedded web-cam "journalism" being pumped into us 24-7 the Iraqi people have been dehumanized completely in a matter of weeks.

Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe we'll find out that the women in this vehicle were all horrible terrorist suicide bombers with ricin for blood, or something, but I don't think so.

**ADDENDUM** For another incident of Full Metal Jacket syndrome, read this horrifying story I found at Hullaballoo.

Martin's distress was in contrast to the bitter satisfaction of some of his fellow marines as they surveyed the scene. "The Iraqis are sick people and we are the chemotherapy," said Corporal Ryan Dupre. "I am starting to hate this country. Wait till I get hold of a friggin' Iraqi. No, I won't get hold of one. I'll just kill him."

This is sickening and very sad. I'll say again, Saddam Hussein better have Osama bin Laden hiding in his basement. He better have nuclear freaking warheads aimed at the Statue of Liberty. The world better look like freaking Star Trek after he's gone, or otherwise this war is the least justified act that the U.S. government has ever committed.

No comments: